where to get the animation software

HI
i’m on an inactive team, and I want to learn how to do animations for next year, when we compete. I was wondering what the software people use for the animations is, and where i might be able to get it.

thanks

we use 3d studio max made by discreet…

it’s available at www.discreet.com . they offer a free stripped down version for making models for games, but i suggest getting the real thing.

you have to buy it from them, or get it with your kit of parts.

*jeremy

They do however have a demo version that you can get for free. That will allow you to learn it on your own, even though it has some drawbacks. Good luck (and worse comes to worst, every team got a demo CD and we could proboly send you ours)

I’d check out the colleges/universities in your area. They usually offer educational versions of large software packages. Many times, there isn’t a big difference between that and the real thing, besides the price.

*Originally posted by Brandon Martus *
**I’d check out the colleges/universities in your area. They usually offer educational versions of large software packages. Many times, there isn’t a big difference between that and the real thing, besides the price. **

Yeah, unfortenetly however, 3ds max still costs about 500 dolalrs edu pricing last time I checked. It might even by higher now :-\

higher it is, last year 3dmax4 was considerably cheaper, go figure they just came out with 5. But the learning version can’t be used to publish anything(just if you wanted to do it in your spare time). The demo, the demo cd, however only lasts for 15or30 days, is still completely usable, nothing is taken out, it’s full version… all you have to do is authorize it with Discreet. which still costs alot but still… you can also get a cd by going onto their site and ordering one for free, it’s no cost even for shipping, it’s a very nice and useful tool to have if you want to look at the program and see if you want to get really into it. In the way of learning, if you think that you’re a fast learner go check out or the tutorials, and go through them step by step. If you think you might need a bit of guided help, go for Discreet’s learning and training cd’s or the fundementals books. But I’ve been working on 3dmax for maybe 2 years, I’m completely self taught and I feel like I know alot about the program… But my main piece of advice is to just try it out from one of the demo’s either from Discreet, or the other person on this post (i’d go with the other person on the post, they would probly ship it faster and more reliably then Discreet) and then go from there…