Which OS?

OK, so I’ve been working on putting together my new comp for a little while now. I have the last few parts coming in the next couple weeks. Now I have to think about which OS I want to run in it. I know I’m going to run Ubuntu as my secondary OS (for when I need a haven from the Microsoft dominated world of commercial software). I was thinking maybe XP Pro 64 bit? I’m hoping to get Windows 7 when it comes out also to replace whatever I get now. My comp can run anything you can throw at it so performance issues won’t matter. So please, which do you think I should get?

If you can GET XP, it’s good. Problem is, it’s kind of tricky to do that. For a new computer, it’s virtually impossible to get something other than Windows Vista. If you get that, make sure you get at least SP1.

Or you could just get Apple’s OS.

I see no option for OSX.

Depends on what apps you want to run. If you want to run apps that are not available for Mac OS, then Windows might be better.

I believe XP is still available pre installed on several netbooks. We bought one a few months ago with it. It’s been a couple months since I saw the software itself for sale at local stores, but you can still buy it from places like newegg.

Sorry there’s no OSX option but I thought you couldn’t run it on Windows hardware?

Macs have been running intel processors for years…and there are folks who like to run the OS on non-Mac computers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86 although it might violate the EULA, so perhaps it’s not a good idea.

edit: here’s the line in the agreement, right at the beginning!

1. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
    A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so.

And folks think MS wants to control you… :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh ya, thats the hackintosh thing, I remember now…

Unless you plan to game a lot, I would pick a Linux distro (Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, whatever) and get the E17 desktop shell. Make the partition for Windows, then wait. If you end up needing Windows, get one. Otherwise, just leave the partition in place until 7 comes out, whenever that is.

You can’t run it on non-Apple hardware if you want to abide by Apple’s EULA…

Don’t limit yourself too much, there are plenty of choices…

(these are mostly from the 90s, although IBM PC-DOS 3.10 is from the mid 80s, and all are new/sealed boxes)

Vista, x64 if >4gb of RAM.

I know all of you anti-Vista and anti-MS people will disagree, but here is my reasoning.

• Vista really isn’t that bad and Windows 7 is even better.
  • If you are going to upgrade to Windows 7 in the near future, keep in mind that an upgrade install directly from XP to & will NOT be possible. You will need to do a clean install of 7, which includes reinstalling all of your old software…

Other thoughts:

• You can install the Windows 7 Beta, then install the RTM version when released, but AFAIK MS hasn’t officially stated they will support this, yet. I can’t say I recommend doing this, but 7 beta does seem very stable. I know many people who have already made the switch.
  • Don’t try to use XP x64. I’ve heard nothing but bad things about it, especially with newer drivers.
  • In any case make sure you you have the latest service pack (SP3 for XP, SP1 for Vista), preferably pre-installed from the install disk.

Are they going to offer direct Vista to 7 upgrade packs?

Option three was good until the “until”. =) Just use Linux forever.

Yes, Vista to 7 upgrade installs will be possible, but as with any upgrade install there will always be small issues.

Eric, what necessary things can you do with Vista (or 7) that you can’t do with XP?

That’s the question that drives my upgrade schedule…which is why I din’t start using XP until about a year and a half ago!

I am to well adapted to the Microsoft world, I ran Ubuntu as a secondary on my laptop a while ago and it was nice but I couldn’t survive with any linux distro as my permanent OS.

On another note. Anyone know how many cpu cores different OS’s support?

It depends on your definition of necessary.

Here is my quick list…

• My #1, the x64 version is actually good. (XP x64 isn’t) If you have >4gb of RAM this is enough of a reason to use Vista/7.
  • Find drivers using Windows Update actually works!
  • I prefer the user directory structure over XPs.
  • In general Vista, and 7, have significant security and reliability improvements over XP. I know Vista has a bad rep, but in my experience, and most people I know who have used it, Vista is more stable than XP.
  • There are a huge number of improvements in the business network administration, but I won’t go into detail since most people will never be aware of these improvements.
  • While not necessary, I find the search features built into Vista increase my productivity.
  • It’s kind of a niche thing, but the tablet PC and touch screen support is must better than XP.
  • IIS 7 for testing before deploying web sites/apps.
  • Security enhancements in remote desktop.
  • In my experience Workgroup networking is faster, easier, more stable, and more reliable.
  • Windows Media Center is great when using a machine as media device.
  • 7 has improved integration of biometric security devices.

I had a similar experience.

About CPU support. Vista will support 2 physical CPUs (sockets) w/ up to 32 cores each. Ubuntu supports at least that many, but I couldn’t find it documented anywhere.

Thanks! nothing in your list is stuff I need (or want), so I guess I’m fine with XP.

ymmv :slight_smile:

Sweet, that should do me just fine. Thanks!

I am curious, why can’t you survive using Linux alone? Personally, I dual boot Vista and Fedora (+ E17). However, I almost never boot into Fedora because it has issues with my laptop’s sound card. Since I listen to a lot of music and watch TV/Movies on my laptop, that is a bit of a deal killer to me (prefer linux for non-audio general use though - report writing, coding, browsing, etc.). So, anyway, what was your problem with Linux: difficulty adapting, hardware issues (like me), software availability, or something else?