Which Regional?

Posted by Mckinley.

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from Mckinley High School and NASA Ames.

Posted on 10/8/2000 6:21 AM MST

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on where we should go. Last year we attended the NASA Ames regional in San Jose and this year, we are at a deadlock on where we should go. We wanted to go to the Nationals, but it would cost a lot, and we would have to miss one week of school. Our other options are to go to the LA, San Jose, Midwest, Great Lakes, and Phili regionals. Keep in mind that we are from Hawaii, and travel costs are going to be a pain!!! Especially air fare. The last I heard, a plane fare to Illinois or Michigan would cost $500 per student.
I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Team #368 Captain

Posted by Andy Baker.

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 10/8/2000 6:55 AM MST

In Reply to: Which Regional? posted by Mckinley on 10/8/2000 6:21 AM MST:

McKinley,

The Motorola Regional in Illinois rocks! They have us playing a great faciltiy (Northwestern’s Welsh-Ryan Arena) in a fantastic town… Chicago.

We would love to see you and your team there!

Andy B.

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 10/8/2000 8:29 AM MST

In Reply to: Midwest!!! posted by Andy Baker on 10/8/2000 6:55 AM MST:

I agree with Andy. Midwest facility was super, well run and a lot of fun.

The Great Lakes is also an event that in the past has been a class act. This year it is at a different location (MSU) we will see how that works out.

Both would be great choices.

In considering air fare, I believe that the logistics of the Midwest Regional would be easier as it relates to a major hub and closeness to the event.

Posted by Mike Kulibaba.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Depuy, a Johnson and Johnson Company.

Posted on 10/8/2000 4:28 PM MST

I’d say for the best competition around you should go to Great Lakes or Midwest… Or you could go to San Jose and the money that you guys save from only going to Cali you guys could maybe save enough money this year to go to 2 regionals next year like San Jose and LA… On another note though, even though you guys would miss a week of school and it would cost a pretty penny, it would be great to see you guys at the nationals, it would be great to try to get atleast one team from each state at the nationals and if you guys made it to Orlando it would be a great story… But it is your decision and if you can’t get the whole week off, I’d say stay close to home and save up for a bigger and better ride the year after. Maybe you’ll just have to get more hawaii teams and have your own regional out there next year. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Kuli Team 88

Posted by nick237.

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Posted on 10/8/2000 6:32 PM MST

Kika. Try this, get an airline company to be your sponsor and come to them all, or if the choice was mine then the Nationals would be the place to be.
Try thinking of not missing a week of school but giving your school a break from your presence for a week, then come join the greatest competition in the world. you wont regret it, and all who would attend would wish you Aloha and see you in Florida.
Besides you would be a shoe-in for the furthest traveled team prize if they still have one.
Come to the Nationals.
nick team 237.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on where we should go. Last year we attended the NASA Ames regional in San Jose and this year, we are at a deadlock on where we should go. We wanted to go to the Nationals, but it would cost a lot, and we would have to miss one week of school. Our other options are to go to the LA, San Jose, Midwest, Great Lakes, and Phili regionals. Keep in mind that we are from Hawaii, and travel costs are going to be a pain!!! Especially air fare. The last I heard, a plane fare to Illinois or Michigan would cost $500 per student.
: I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

:
: Team #368 Captain

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 10/9/2000 5:33 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Which Regional? posted by nick237 on 10/8/2000 6:32 PM MST:

If you can go to only ONE competition including all the Regionals & the Nationals, I recommend that you pick either NJ or IL.

The Nationals are great but they are not anywhere near as intense as the typical regional. The atmosphere, the crowd, the local flavor, the abilitity to actually WATCH the whole tournament! Regionals are GREAT. Besides, the Nationals are soo huge, it is easy to get lost in the shuffle.

As to why the NJ or IL regionals, the venues get the nod. Both of these venues are 3 side viewing in a gynasium. Excellent viewing,very theatrical. Also, both of these competitions have a history of great teams and rivalries.

Just my 2 cents.

Joe J.

P.S. I would have given the nod to CT but for 2 things. 1) As we all know on this forum, the competition is already booked up with a waiting list to boot. 2) I am lead to understand that the venue is aweful for viewing. If it were not for the great teams that attend that we want to see before we face them at the Nationals, I doubt that we would have even considered going to this regional. JJ