Who can help me???

Posted by Brian Savitt at 1/7/2001 8:44 AM EST

Student on team #56, Robbe Xtreme, from Bound Brook High School and Ethicon Inc…

I am just wondering as to what determines which beacon color your team uses in the elimination rounds, since we have 4 beacons and everyone is on a team why would everyone on the same alliance need a different color beacon

just thinking

Brian

Posted by Fran at 1/7/2001 9:39 AM EST

Other on team #166, Team Merrimack, from Merrimack High School and Texas Instruments/R.S. Machines.

In Reply to: Who can help me???
Posted by Brian Savitt on 1/7/2001 8:44 AM EST:

: I am just wondering as to what determines which beacon color your team uses in the elimination rounds, since we have 4 beacons and everyone is on a team why would everyone on the same alliance need a different color beacon

: just thinking

: Brian

You need four different color beacons because of the four colored large balls. Whoever’s large ball is up on top of the goal gets an extra 10% I think.

-Bonnie

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 1/7/2001 10:02 AM EST

Other on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

In Reply to: Re: Who can help me???
Posted by Fran on 1/7/2001 9:39 AM EST:

: : I am just wondering as to what determines which beacon color your team uses in the elimination rounds, since we have 4 beacons and everyone is on a team why would everyone on the same alliance need a different color beacon

: : just thinking

: : Brian

: You need four different color beacons because of the four colored large balls. Whoever’s large ball is up on top of the goal gets an extra 10% I think.

That’s correct. If your correspondingly-colored ball is on top of the goal at the end of the match, you get an extra 10%.

Patrick

Posted by Lora Knepper at 1/7/2001 1:38 PM EST

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / Boston College High School and Seeking Sponsorship.

In Reply to: Re: Who can help me???
Posted by Patrick Dingle on 1/7/2001 10:02 AM EST:

: That’s correct. If your correspondingly-colored ball is on top of the goal at the end of the match, you get an extra 10%.

But that only helps you in seeding rounds…keep in mind as Jon said that these people are your allies to the end :slight_smile: 10% more on just your score makes no sense in the finals!

~ Lora

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/7/2001 5:46 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Only in Qualifiers for the 10%…
Posted by Lora Knepper on 1/7/2001 1:38 PM EST:

Exactly right… it’s only for qualifying round. I predict that, at finals, when there will be 4 groups competiting, they will be using the the same color in each field, and the whole scoring of elimination round will be presented by different color.

Posted by Jon at 1/7/2001 11:36 AM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

I think that they will leave it up to the alliances to decide what color they’ll want to use in a match. Same as last year: where you could chose which side to take in your color, you’ll strategically chose which color to take depending on what your job is going to be in the match.

Although, the big ball 10% doesn’t matter in the eliminations since the rounds are determined based on alliance high score… so getting the balls up there will still be important but as part of the larger team effort… remember. those four other teams are your allies through the finals…

: I am just wondering as to what determines which beacon color your team uses in the elimination rounds, since we have 4 beacons and everyone is on a team why would everyone on the same alliance need a different color beacon

: just thinking

: Brian

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 1/7/2001 5:37 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Ok, so going along with the beacon colors…what about the positions on the field? There is only one central way to get across the field (not counding going over the 18" fence) and I was wondering if being a certain color means being on a certain place on the field.

-Jessica

Posted by Lora Knepper at 1/7/2001 7:34 PM EST

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / Boston College High School and Seeking Sponsorship.

In Reply to: What about position?
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 1/7/2001 5:37 PM EST:

It’s just like last year…your robot starts out right in front of your drivers.

~ lora

Posted by Jon at 1/7/2001 9:06 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Mass Academy of Math and Science and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

In Reply to: Re: What about position?
Posted by Lora Knepper on 1/7/2001 7:34 PM EST:

yep and your position is determined by your color… i don’t know if you’ll be allowed to trade though… i don’t recall anything against it…

: It’s just like last year…your robot starts out right in front of your drivers.

: ~ lora

Posted by Janna at 1/7/2001 9:22 PM EST

Student on team #349, The RoBahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Company and Robert Bosch GmbH.

In Reply to: Re: What about position?
Posted by Jon on 1/7/2001 9:06 PM EST:

: yep and your position is determined by your color… i don’t know if you’ll be allowed to trade though… i don’t recall anything against it…

Yeah, you can pick your position on the field in finals, but not in seeding matches. So I assume they’ll still have those colored lights by each station and that you can identify which station/placement you want by that light (and then have that light on your robot).

Plus, it helps to identify your team compared to your robot. If you can’t see the team number but you can see that it’s got a green light, you know which team is driving it.

And I think communication in the alliance stations will be a mess during the matches this year…so it’s easier to yell “put the green ball on top!” than “the red one over there! no, there!”

Just my thoughts…

Janna

Posted by Jon at 1/7/2001 9:36 PM EST

In Reply to: trading only in the finals…robot ID by lights
Posted by Janna on 1/7/2001 9:22 PM EST:

GM3. At least 2 minutes prior to the start of each qualification match, teams will be randomly
assigned to alliances and given a unique color by FIRST. This color is used to determine the
placement of each teams’ robots, human players, robot operators, and coaches around the
playing field.

Nothing about not being able to trade… or is it somewhere else?
j

: : yep and your position is determined by your color… i don’t know if you’ll be allowed to trade though… i don’t recall anything against it…

: Yeah, you can pick your position on the field in finals, but not in seeding matches. So I assume they’ll still have those colored lights by each station and that you can identify which station/placement you want by that light (and then have that light on your robot).

: Plus, it helps to identify your team compared to your robot. If you can’t see the team number but you can see that it’s got a green light, you know which team is driving it.

: And I think communication in the alliance stations will be a mess during the matches this year…so it’s easier to yell “put the green ball on top!” than “the red one over there! no, there!”

: Just my thoughts…

: Janna

Posted by Janna at 1/7/2001 11:09 PM EST

Student on team #349, The RoBahamas, from International Academy and Ford Motor Company and Robert Bosch GmbH.

In Reply to: Re: trading only in the finals…robot ID by lights
Posted by Jon on 1/7/2001 9:36 PM EST:

Hmm, then I’m sorry, I don’t know where I got that from…maybe from the kickoff broadcast? Did somebody ask that?