Who can sign off for bag and tag?

Last year, we had an issue at our competition where our lock up form came into question. Our lock up form was signed by the teacher adviser of the team which we were told by the inspector was not allowed but he “believed us”.
Who are we supposed to have sign the form then? The rules states:

The Robot Lock-Up Form must be filled in by an adult, 18 years or older, who is not a student on the team. By signing this form the signor attests to the fact that he/she is 18 years old or older, is not a student member of the team, and that all rules a regulations regarding access periods and lock or unlock are being followed. Phone numbers are required for verification in case inspectors at events have questions regarding the form.

I thought the intent was to have a mentor or teacher sign the form, am I wrong?

You quoted the rule correctly.
An adult, 18 years or older that is not a STUDENT on the team.
Your mentor or any other non-student adult team member can sign the form.

An Adult who is not on the team can sign the form…
The signing member should be aware of the rules concerning bag and tag.

They do not have to be with you… it could be a principal… a teacher a coach…
an adult of any type… over the age of 18 … and not a student team member.

I’d get your principal to sign it. It removes any cause for concern with inspection.

I disagree with this… there is absolutely no reason why one of your mentors cannot sign this… in fact it is better if the signer is there in case there are any questions… you are required to put a phone number on if there are questions.

Also remember that if you forget the form… there are ways to deal with it, it is not the end of the world if you don’t have the form. It will take more time but you will get in as long as you bring a robot that is “locked” in its bag.

If you bring in a robot NOT in a bag… you will not play.