Who will top Rumble IV?

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro.

Posted on 6/7/99 9:41 AM MST

conversation seems slow lately, so let’s bring up a little friendly talk…

with all those teams going to rumble (and there is a whole lot of them) who does everyone think will come out on top?? any new alliances you think should form that would be unstoppable? and do you think it’ll be high scoring, high defense, etc that will win this competition??

let’s get everyone’s two cents…

Posted by Tom Wible.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #131, chaos, from central high school manchester and osram-sylvania.

Posted on 6/7/99 7:09 PM MST

In Reply to: Who will top Rumble IV? posted by colleen on 6/7/99 9:41 AM MST:

I think all of the teams will have had enough time to optimize thier strategies, so you will see a higher level of play at Rumble.
Most of the teams will not be making any of the mistakes that they might have made in any of the FIRST events. It will be tough.
For example, in order to beat some of the strong teams, you may have to attack thier weak point, which at first may not be so obvious.
If an alliance has good puck control and climbing abilities (including pole climbing), you may be able to beat them by blocking them when they go for floppies.
Another tactic we’ve used is what I call positional advantage. You can usually tell who will be going after the post if one of the opposing teams is a pole grabber.
All you have to do is have one of your robots run interference on the pole grabber(getting between the puck and the grabber works well) until one of your robots is on the puck, then have the robot on the puck defend the posts from on top.
Now the original robot is free to get floppies, etc. Of course all of this works around the ability to read the situation and react quickly on the field.
I think the teams which did well in Florida, but did not win will be the ones to watch at Rumble 99.

Tom Wible
(it’s pronounced ‘Y-bull’)
TEAM C.H.A.O.S.

Posted by Mike Kulibaba.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Johnson and Johnson.

Posted on 6/7/99 8:01 PM MST

It’s that time of year again!! For the 3rd straight year Team 88, TJ² is going to the rumble with high hopes of doing well. We are gonna do our best to repeat as champions but with the amount of talent that is there it is gonna be really really tough. I have been looking at the list of teams on the Plymouth North Web page(http://www.pnta.org) and man I am impressed! my favorite team, other then my own, is team 157, the Aztecs, there design is incredible and so is there robot. I expect them to make a run at the championship. Then you got the national champions down there also so it is gonna be tough to dethrown them. And everyone knows that the chief is always tough to beat. Then you have great teams like Buzz, Ethicon, Wildstang, Robo-raiders and I could go on and on!!! And we can’t forget Plymouth North, it’s there home turf and everyone knows it is tough to beat people on their own turf. All i have to say it that it is gonna be one great weekend and Everyone better be READY TO RUMBLE!! Good luck to everyone

Kuli Team 88 TJ²

Posted by Andy Baker.

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 6/8/99 1:09 PM MST

The TechnoKats will be there. After not being able to attend last summer due to the GM strike, we are ‘wicked’ eager for this year’s Rumble.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you there. We’ll be sure to bring our box of band-aids so all of you can beat on TKO.

See ya soon,
Andy B.

Posted by Mike McIntyre.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central HS and Delphi Automotive.

Posted on 6/13/99 3:09 PM MST

In Reply to: We’re Goin’! posted by Andy Baker on 6/8/99 1:09 PM MST:

The field is deep: I know that OTC/3D Services (this year’s Nat’l co-champs) will be there also; you guys have similar machines and strategies, so it should be a wild match if you two can go at it again; too bad you guys weren’t out there against them at the end in Florida, but now maybe we can see who’s the king of the puck once and for all; i just hope Chief Delphi is out there also when it happens!
: The TechnoKats will be there. After not being able to attend last summer due to the GM strike, we are ‘wicked’ eager for this year’s Rumble.

: I am looking forward to seeing all of you there. We’ll be sure to bring our box of band-aids so all of you can beat on TKO.

: See ya soon,
: Andy B.

Posted by Frank Toussaint.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling and Rolling Meadows and Motorola .

Posted on 6/8/99 1:26 PM MST

My two cents:

The finals at EPCOT are done.
We’ve had a bucket of fun.
It’s not over yet,
We know where to bet:
At Rumble, WildStang’s the one.

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 6/8/99 9:48 PM MST

Chief Delphi will be there and you know what we do best.

Major repairs to several motors make us stronger than ever.

Watch us ‘Hang’ on the pole ( or bend it ) at the Rumble.

Posted by Doug Fischer.

Student on team #41, Warriors, from Watchung Hills and Cordis.

Posted on 6/9/99 1:01 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Who will top Rumble IV? posted by Michael Martus on 6/8/99 9:48 PM MST:

: Watch us ‘Hang’ on the pole ( or bend it ) at the Rumble.

Hey, I heard a rumor that if you guys run your hanging mechanaism the wrong way that you can actually pick up the puck. Is that true?

Posted by Mike McIntyre.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central HS and Delphi Automotive.

Posted on 6/13/99 3:01 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: Who will top Rumble IV? posted by Doug Fischer on 6/9/99 1:01 PM MST:

We can pick it up and run around with it, but since the puck weighs about the same as our robot, it’s a very tippy arrangement; we usually just pick it up enough to put some extra traction on our wheels when we’re driving around with the puck in tow; if somebody (or somebodies) are on the puck at the time, it makes for an interesting ride!
: : Watch us ‘Hang’ on the pole ( or bend it ) at the Rumble.

: Hey, I heard a rumor that if you guys run your hanging mechanaism the wrong way that you can actually pick up the puck. Is that true?

Posted by Daniel.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M Gunn Senior High School and NASA Ames.

Posted on 6/9/99 5:12 PM MST

G-Force is gonna be there, and let me tell you…we are psyched! This is a big trip for us, coming from cali, so we plan to make the best of it. Expect to see us and our Hawaiian gear kickin’ it back and just having a damn good time playing with our robot!

We just wanna play!

See you there…

-Daniel

Posted by Rick Gibbs.

Engineer on team #145, T-Rx, from Norwich High School, Sherburne-Earlville High School and Procter & Gamble Pharmaceuticals.

Posted on 6/9/99 7:10 PM MST

T-Rx will be there and driving hard. With a 7th at Philly and a 3rd at
Nationals, I think we have as good a shot as any. BUT this year there
are SO many excellent robots, there’s no way you can pick just one
(or 2 or 3).

Although when all is said and done, I do expect to see T-Rx at the
top of the food chain looking down!)

Posted by Andy Grady.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #42, P.A.R.T.S, from Alvirne High School and Daniel Webster College.

Posted on 6/13/99 6:00 PM MST

Well judging from what I saw at Tyngsbourough this weekend, rumble is gonna be one heck of a competition. In Tyngsborough (good job to the Tyngsborough team for putting on a great event this weekend) there were many very physical and tough matches played, even one match that i would consider one of the best matches i have ever seen, any one who was there and saw the perfect score match will know what im talking about. My team’s machine came out of Tyngsborough a total wreck. Rumble is gonna be even crazier. I have always thought that Rumble is probably the toughest competition to win out of all the competitions even the official ones. Expect to see the teams who go out and fight hard for the puck end up somewhere on the top. One thing is for sure though, Rumble is gonna be a great event. The Plymouth North team has always put in a great effort in making this event one of the best. Cya at Rumble,
Andy Grady