Why a 2021 Water Game makes sense

We all know what is needed to get to a 2021 season: a greatly reduced number of Covid cases or a way to safety meet. Water solves these problems. According to the CDC: “There is no evidence that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can spread to people through water.” So if we get a giant pool and a bunch of scuba gear, then we can host the competitions completely safely! And on April 1st Andymark accidentally released waterproof coating, indicating that FIRST sees the potential of reusing this year’s robots dipped in coating.

I do not see any issues with this. Do you?

Source: Visiting Beaches and Pools | COVID-19 | CDC

48 Likes

I am oddly comforted that the Water Game meme can be thus continued through the pandemic

61 Likes

I’m not totally sure why you would use a pool. It seems a lot more effective to flood a convention center or high school gym.

44 Likes

It seems a lot more effective to flood a convention center or high school gym
This is why we need an out of context highlight thread.

26 Likes

Good thing, too. Given the trajectory of 2020 so far, we’re on track for some biblical-level floods in 2021.

19 Likes

Would our robots have to account for both fresh water and sea water?

5 Likes

Now that i think about it… chances are your robot has a decent chance at floating with the bumpers…

4 Likes

Are you guys suggesting that China is ready for regionals in 2021?

(Jokes aside this is a huge problem and is not a laughing matter)

5 Likes

How much water in general? When I think about water games seriously, I think about matches with like an inch of water.

2 Likes

When I think of water games, I think of things like NURC and RoboSub and MATE and even SeaPerch. Quite different than FRC.

They’ve been cancelled/postponed/virtualized also, this year.

2 Likes
17 Likes

Field is not water tight so no water game ever…fantasy

1 Like

You didn’t hear? We just tossed the whole field into the pool. The game is to get the field out of the pool.

10 Likes

I thought we had to make a robotic fish to navigate through the water to collect items and score points

2 Likes

Not if you use bolts, but if you use rivets then it will be water tight! Better call Rivetman.

Or you can use flex tape! Better call Phil Swift.

5 Likes

Besides the drastic cost for scuba-certificating all staff members and teams, no. Open the sea walls!

2 Likes

Fantasy lives ; reality is

1 Like

I also do not see any problems with this, I agree with doing a water game. Also being in the water with the water game would be pretty fun as well. Since it has not been proved that COVID can be spread through water, there shouldn’t be an issue. Also I’m pretty sure the chlorine can kill the virus so if we have chlorine where the bodies of people are then that would be even better.

2 Likes

man the water game meme is a blast from past i remeber that meme being used begining of school last year

2 Likes

I think this is the perfect solution!

1 Like