Why Announce Impact after EI

I get that the Impact award should be celebrated to it’s fullest, and that we should save the best for last. However over the years I’ve seen teams; but more specifically outreach students a bit upset about winning EI knowing that means they didn’t win the Impact award. Switching this would also allow for their video to be played without everyone leaving the stands, and eliminates that awkward visual of a Judge grabbing the blue banner while the students are getting their high fives and EI medal’s

• announce EI then Impact (current)
  • announce Impact then EI
0 voters

well, “the Impact award is the most prestigious award in FIRST, it honors the team that best represents a model for other teams to emulate and best embodies the mission of FIRST. It was created to keep the central focus of FIRST Robotics Competition on the ultimate goal of transforming the culture in ways that will inspire greater levels of respect and honor for science and technology, as well as encouraging more of today’s youth to become science and technology leaders”
I think the best should be saved for last imo.

6 Likes

yeah but seeing teams not wanting to win EI isn’t a great representation of embodying the mission of FIRST, and doesn’t help transform the culture

1 Like

Who doesn’t want to win an award that pays for tournament registration advancement (and/or auto-qualifies the team)?

46 Likes

Because it’s not the most prestigious award in FIRST. Not winning Impact, if you’re gunning for a national Impact win, is hard on some teams.

5 Likes

not sure about it on the national/worlds level as I feel like any award at Champs is a massive accomplishment. but yeah lot’s of dang we won second place that means we didn’t win first, rather than dang we didn’t win first but maybe we got second… followed by true excitement when they win

1 Like

The only award with a cash prize is second place?

17 Likes

Almost all (if not all, now) judged awards for teams are mutually exclusive, so winning any of them before Impact can be an “oh, so we didn’t win Impact” moment. While that’s rough, I don’t think moving Impact’s position in the announcement order will fix that. The better approach is to try and foster a team environment that won’t be disappointed at winning a “lesser” award, and instead is happy to receive any recognition, imo.

32 Likes

Y’know, I do recall an event–and I don’t recall the year exactly but it was a while ago, maybe 2007?–where Impact (Chairman’s at the time) was one of the first awards given out. At Champs.

And the team was brought up, feted, seated on stage near field. THE biggest award in FRC. First award given at Champs.

And it was never, ever done that way again. I’m not sure the exact reasons but I seem to recall hearing about it being kinda awful for the team that won, even with the win.

8 Likes

I’ve been pro giving out the impact award 1st before any other award for a long time.

20 Likes

This topic goes back many a year. Why, indeed, should EI be considered a consolation prize in the Impact race? Founders and executive sponsors clearly saw the two differently. Dave Lavery in particular was once quite vocal on the subject of why the two awards have different purposes, and do not simply recognize different degrees of the same effort.

From the FIRST website:

• The Impact Award honors the team that best represents a model for other teams to emulate and best embodies the mission of FIRST®, which is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders and innovators, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering, and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.

• The Engineering Inspiration Award celebrates outstanding success in advancing respect and appreciation for engineering within a team’s school or organization and community.

I don’t think that Judges ought to select EI winners based on considerations taken during a selection process designed to compare Impact submissions. By doing so they save themselves some time, but at the cost of misrepresenting what EI is really intended to celebrate.

12 Likes

Any team that is upset about winning Engineering Inspiration lacks the culture that is requisite for such recognition.

35 Likes

Could it be that FRC doesn’t know what it wants to be? No… definitely couldn’t be that.

1 Like

Very much agree with this. Anything done at champs is a massive accomplishment, my team has been to Champs six times (which granted isn’t many compared to others), and the only award we ever got was the Safety Star of the Day award.

2 Likes

We were incredibly proud to have won EI in 2022. I just can’t imagine anyone feeling sour grapes over it. (be nice if you still got a blue banner for it though :wink: )

What if we announce both of them at the beginning?

2 Likes

Inevitably one is going to come first, which is still essentially the same problem due to EIs perception of being 2nd to Impact.

It should be noted that this is only true if you’re an American team.

11 Likes

2018 Northern Lights Regional, the award scripts the MC uses got out of order and he didn’t realize it - so he ended up announcing Chairman’s first, before any other awards.

That was the most uncomfortable award ceremony I’ve ever been at. Only 4 teams (out of 60!) stood and clapped for every award. Many teams looked like they just didn’t care.

Also, in my experience, teams don’t start leaving the stands until it’s all finished, which includes watching the chairman’s video. Maybe that’s different in other regions. If your team is doing that, then you should really consider what sort of culture your team has. We should be there celebrating excellence, even when it isn’t our own.

9 Likes

I voted to leave the award order as it is. I’m not sure that swapping EI and Impact announcement addresses the issue described anyway. In the scenario OP descried: if some team members are upset that they did not win Impact, wouldn’t they still be upset when the are announced as EI winners a few moments later? Even if Impact is announced before EI, I don’t see how the situation improves.

I think it is understandable for some team members to be disappointed, but rather than change he award order to address (as far as I can tell) a rare occurrence, use this as an opportunity for mentoring. Team members shouldn’t have to run down to accept an award if they are truly devastated. Let them hang back, have a quiet convo with them in the stands. Teenagers need than sometimes.

We don’t see a lot of people streaming out of the stands before the Impact video plays in my region. If we want more teams to see the Impact video - and I think that’s a great idea - maybe the region’s Impact submissions should be played during field breaks or something like that. While the video is technically not required any more, I bet many teams will still have one.

1 Like