Why was stacking so hard?

Why was stacking so hard?

look for our pick 1089 we stack pritty well.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18394

Not hard, but time consuming and too easily toppled.

o because there are ways to prevent robot attacks on stacks and also it only takes 40 secounds to stack 5

40 seconds to make a stack of 5 which is toppled 5 seconds later. In the mean time, the enemy has had 40 seconds of pushing your bins into the neutral zone.

Protect the stack? If you can that’s great, but chances are, as seen this past weekend, you wont.

Alot of stacking bots had trouble stacking bins that were’nt upright because the main set of bins is on the ramp, and most bots knock them down into their zone. Alot of teams that didn’t set the bins upright had troubles. Teams w/ Stackers, you might want to find a quick way at competition to set bins upright…

THose who have been paired with us know our top secret winnign stratagie but a hint is human stacking and the king of the hill. Box stacking is great is you can protect while stacking.

it isn’t that hard. Our teams main strategy is a stacker, and we were one of the few teams that consistently did it in cleveland.

It hard, but it doesn’t take that much time if you have a good mechanism to do it.

I still predict that it will become more prevelant as the season progresses.

The problem with stacking is trying to orient yourself to be lined up with the boxes. It’s easy enough to do it when you have 5 scattered about all right side up. Try and imagine doing it with 30 boxes pressed close together with 80% on their sides or upsidedown. Unless you have an awesome driver and great luck, stacking is something that is usually useless in a 2v2 match.

The best thing you can try and do is not overestimate your robot. Know it’s abilities, and if it doesn’t have what it takes cope and figure out a new strategy.

At least in the quarter finals at St Louis, no stacks survived until the end of the match. If the stack survived it proved to be very useful, but that is a really big IF.

Lineing up isn’t always an issue.

And i think DJ has a good point, protecting stacks will be more important than building them in finals matches. but if they do get destroyed and you can build them fast and effectively then thats a huge bonus.

having a robot that can make many stacks of 3 or 4 quickly would be the ideal method to protecting your stacks. i agree that stacking will start to play a major roll as time goes on, it will probably be very important down at nationals to beat the best king of the hill bots in finals

I think it will come into play heavilly against rampdoms. That is the only situation I can see where it would be a consistently dominant strategy.

at VCU, team 435 was a very good stacker. they took human player stacks of four, and could stack those on top of upright bins. it was very impressive, and they managed to turn a stack of 4 into a stack of 6 and defend it. beautiful…

stacking is all about timing…we can stack a stack of 4 consistently, then hold it till a few seconds left and drop it (since the fix we have had no dropping problems) also we have a method of bringing in boxes that are up to 45 degrees off line with the robot very easily, and we can righten boxes…although I think that stacking alone can not be your whole strategy because of how easy it is to get knocked over, but if you can protect your stack then stacking is worth it…

I also have a theory on why many teams stacker’s are not working well, and that is the fact that they arn’t protecting the stack as they stack they are just putting one on top of another and so on…and so far most of the successfully robots are enclosed stacking devices…as time goes on I think that everyone will realized that stacker’s are important; probably more then the king of the hill and that a successful stacker, paired with a good “tank” will do very well in this game…

to see our bot in action go to team soap’s webpage and download match 79 from the buckeye…

See you all at nationals…

www.bausch.com/usfirst

Stacking was difficult for me mostly because all of the other boxes were on their sides and the box on top would just fall off. Though successfully defending a stack is a lot more satisfying than successfully building a stack.

There are many elements to being a good stacker. My team is still far from a good stacker (although we were closer then any other team at cleveland :p)

1. you must have bins to stack with, so either you or your partner must have a good autonomous mode.

2. you must have some way to get those bins upright, and quickly

3. you must have some way to pick up boxes that are not lined up perfectly with your robot (most internal stackers have this problem)

4. you must be able to accurately place the box on another (most arms have this problem)

5. you must be able to protect your stack for the majority of the match.

6. you must have the traction and driver skill to do all this while being harassed.

There are probably a lot more, too. Our robot is deficient in several of those. The best video that I have seen of our robot stacking in real competition conditions is qf1m2 from soap (10mb) http://www.soap108.com/2003/movies/oh/oh_qf1m2.asf also good to note that we lost that match. In fact we lost most of the matches where we stacked. So just because you can stack doesn’t mean that you will do well or seed high.

I will be very interested to see how you guys do at competition.

stacks dont have to be upright to stack
we stacked one on its side on one upright cuz we rule!!! woo robots

*Originally posted by oneangrydwarf *
**stacks dont have to be upright to stack
we stacked one on its side on one upright cuz we rule!!! woo robots **

But you didn’t stack another on top of the one on it’s side (and if you did…I’d really really like to see how).

A stack of two doesn’t make you a very good stacker. To make a good stack you must do each of the things I said above at least once.

if you can quickly make 2-3 stacks of 3-4 boxes you will be successful. This can be done in a little over a minute and can be protected as long as necessary.

You can stack other way than upright and nest.

Personally I prefer upside-down, It is easy enough to do, they nest better and they stay up better than upright stacks.

well we did do all those things at some point or another…
maybe not protect but we had protecting arms that we can stick on that holds a stack of 4 firmly without any problem.

As far as stacking on top of a side one…i’m not sure but i think we threw one on top of one on its side with another next to it, this is till a stack.