Wifi at Detroit

My team is looking to have some monitors in our pit at Detroit. We know there is a plug to be able to stream the event and rankings and all that, but is there also an Ethernet cord, or a wifi network, that we could connect a Raspberry Pi to to be able to access and display our team’s website? I know hotspots and all that is an issue because of interference with the field.

Thank you!

0 Likes

If I remember correctly they drop a cable with all the division streams to your pits.

0 Likes

No.

2 Likes

One option is to USB tether if you have a hotspot you can use. Hotspots are only against the rules since they generate either a 2.4GHZ or 5 GHZ frequency, so USB tethering is perfectly legal.

2 Likes

Last year there was only a coaxial video feed, no Ethernet or any other type of internet connection was provided. Cell (4G) coverage inside the venue is decent (at least it was on AT&T for my phone), though as always there are no wireless hotspots allowed.

1 Like

You could use a data stick in a computer to display your website

0 Likes

Only available “hardware connection” is the following

Gives you specifications on the cable type and what you need to get rankings and the streams into your pit.
As for ethernet or wifi, I think you are out of luck

0 Likes

Yes this is correct if it is the case again this year. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be used again but as for last year when my team went there was a cable in Detroit to play matches on from your division with many different spectating screens. I will see you at Detroit @Kaitlynmm569, if your cable has any problems I’m sure you can ask a team that isn’t using one.

1 Like

Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive setup for this?

0 Likes

A very simple method - grab screen shots of your website and create a gallery of images. Set the screensaver to cycle through the images.

1 Like

Alternatively, record your screen while going through your website. Save and present.

0 Likes

In the past, we have used a RPi and a monitor to run a video on infinite loop. The video was made from a Powerpoint with our “outreach” pictures, etc. The video could be of pretty much anything, including a screen capture of someone paging through your website.

1 Like

You could also back up your website and have it running locally on a computer.

1 Like

Here is the specific document for Detroit.

0 Likes