Will Labview work on windows 8?

Will Labview work on windows 8?

The FRC 2013 beta test teams are testing LabView 2012. You can read more about it here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14279/en

It appears that the official answer is “Probably”.

There’s no reason why it shouldn’t, but yes, it’s not impossible that something will break compatibility.

As Tom says, all the GDC has said on the matter is this:

The software we’re releasing for the 2013 season hasn’t been certified to work with Windows 8. This doesn’t mean it won’t work, just that we can’t guarantee it, and we won’t be able to provide anything beyond cursory support if you decide to use it. We will be incorporating testing with Windows 8 in future seasons

I would think not windows 8 is a completely new OS that is supposedly not supporting many windows xp/vista/7 programms

Quote From FRC Blog:

Windows 8

The software we’re releasing for the 2013 season hasn’t been certified to work with Windows 8. This doesn’t mean it won’t work, just that we can’t guarantee it, and we won’t be able to provide anything beyond cursory support if you decide to use it. We will be incorporating testing with Windows 8 in future seasons.

More later this week.

Frank

I’ve seen LV run on Windows 8, but until they finish testing installers, drivers, uninstallers, etc, they will not say that it is supported. It seems like MS reinvents the OS every few years with grand statements about security and user experience, and they do indeed change many things, but many things also stay the same – or simply get pushed one dialog box deeper. If you don’t have a choice and only have a Windows 8 machine, I suspect you’ll be fine. If you have a choice and can wait a few weeks, the suppliers and beta testers will be able to give more specific results of tests.

Greg McKaskle

Where did you hear that? It’s true that it’s a new OS, but Microsoft has always been very good about maintaining backwards compatibility (almost to a fault) and I’ve never come across a compatibility issue with a program on Win 7/8 that was caused by the OS itself.

You might be thinking of Windows 8 RT, the version of Windows for ARM tablets, which indeed will not support traditional desktop programs. The version of Windows 8 on desktops and laptops however should work with any programs that worked on Windows 7.

I think the final answer (for now) is still “probably, but no guarantees”

You might be right

This feels a bit late and I forgot to mention this in the beta discussions, but we were able to install the Beta software for FRC 2013 on an Acer laptop running Windows 8. Based on that, we were able to build/deploy the basic robot code, although it was not extensively tested beyond that.
I believe I read that another team had used Windows 8 successfully, although I do not remember correctly.

IIRC weren’t there some installation snafus, or am I remembering that incorrectly?

From 1410, we didn’t have any installation snafus or anything of the kind. It worked brilliantly. I’ve attached a PNG of labview running on my windows 8 computer - should put to rest any of the concerns that it’s not working.

Imgur

Imgur

http://i.imgur.com/EMs3e.png Here is a link to a poor screenshot after tests today, you can just barely make out “FRC 2013 Getting Started”, although the splash screen still says 2012. Dunno how that happened, it didn’t before.

I think the installation snafus were from not running the installation as Admin.

If it’s any help,last year’s FRC Labview works just fine on windows 8.