Will your team buy Phoenix Pro?

Given the announcement of Phoenix Pro, I’m interested in getting a rough idea of what percentage of teams would consider paying for it vs. sticking with the free version.

Will your team buy Phoenix Pro?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

3 Likes

Yes voters that are not trolls:

Why?

3 Likes

15% is 15%

17 Likes

From what we can see of the API shape, it’s not clear you’ll be able to make use of that 15% unless you’re doing torque control, which…isn’t a very common use-case.

7 Likes

You’re gonna see two robots in a pushing match and ones winning: “dang that one probably has phoenix pro”

15 Likes

My team is going towards Spark Max’s, so it definitely wouldn’t make sense to buy :joy:

6 Likes

I thought about adding “my team doesn’t use Falcons” as a poll option, but I figured “No” covered that pretty cleanly :grin:

10 Likes

I am really, really looking forward to tuning and teaching in real units.

I like @ozrien and want his team to keep making software products for me.

15% is 15%.

I’m expecting something like $5/falcon/season or $30/workstation. More than that is a tougher conversation.

Somewhere around $20/falcon/season I would give up on teaching in real units.
I’d prefer a per-workstation license structure, and would tolerate something like $100-200 there (benchmarking against our cut2dPro CAM), since we’d only buy one or two.

5 Likes

All of this, but yes its going to depend on how much the license is, I’d prefer a per team or per workstation license, per motor is going to be tough to swallow.

While I’m upset about the license, I most likely would of paid it if it was announced at launch as well.

Despite what’s going on with vex, and regardless of whether or not we will be placing future orders with them, we happen to have falcons sitting around for this year, and again, I have no problem supporting CTRE (I assume these fees are going to them and not Vex).

Assuming that the pricing is reasonable, this seems like a nice quality of life upgrade that our team would be willing and able to pay for.

Though, it’s tough to imagine that this will significantly help CTRE’s bottom line unless the pricing is relatively high.

5 Likes

The “unit support” advertised is literally just an unkeyed string. It doesn’t use the units library, or a new units library, or even some enum or something. Literally just unitless numbers with "Meters" tagged on for good measure.

From an educational standpoint, wouldn’t it be better to teach students how to write a small library that wraps the current CTRE library to add unit support via the WPILib units lib?

It looks like you can only expect these gains in torque control mode.

8 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking, which is why I wanted to make this poll. I’m definitely curious to know more about the pricing model, and when that does come out I wanted to be able to do some napkin math for how much revenue it would generate for them.

I’ve heard that it doesn’t turn any Ls into Ws. :wink:

19 Likes

But it might turn Ls into 7s or Ws into Ms.

I hope this doesnt turn out to be a per motor, license fee.
Practice and off-season robots would be $$$$$$.

4 Likes

13 Likes

I’m just here for updated Tuner GUI

I want to be able to pull up a graph and show setpoints in The same physical units we designed in, instead of spending twenty minutes explaining why my students should learn to love the number 2048 before I can get back to what our actual setpoints should be and what they mean in real life.

Turns out, not every FRC student is breathing binary multipliers when they walk in the door…

2 Likes

I answered no because we don’t have any Falcons, because it’s been impossible to buy them for most of this year.

¯\(ツ)

Maybe one day…

2 Likes

We have unit multipliers classes, so that when a student wants to graph something on Glass, it’s represented in nice metric units. I avoid messing with native units directly when I can.

2 Likes

Yes… SI units are the way.

6 Likes