Winning two regionals?

My team 1038 went to the Pittsburgh and Boilermaker Regionals and submitted an animation for both competitions. Unfortunately we were up team 868 both times. So I knew they would win one but I thought my team had a good chance at one of the regionals since I thought you couldn’t win two regionals… apparently I was wrong.

So I ask, Can you win two regionals?

The rules say “In the event that an animation has already won a previous regional event, the second highest scoring
animation will advance to the Final Round of Professional Judging.
” I took that as the “already won” animation couldn’t win twice and the second place would win advancing to the next round.

Which brings up another question. What team came in second and advances?

I thought the second place team would get the award and move on but since 868 got the award, who came in second? They never announced anything.

I was wondering what you guys thought. I’m not whining about losing because I predicted losing at least one regional to 868 because they had a great animation and they deserved it. So what do you guys think I should do?
I was hoping to contend for the Honorable Mention award.

Yes_you_can_win_at_2_regionals._mykeyboard_is_broke._If_you_win_at_two_regionals,You_stillOnly_get_one_shot_at_winning_nationals.

edit: in short, yes, you can win first place at two regionals. you will still get two trophies. but first place winners automatically go to nationals, they don’t want to give reapeat winners two bites at the apple. therefore, they will not send your animation to nationals the second time, they send second place instead.

I knew they would win one but I thought my team had a good chance at one of the regionals since I thought you couldn’t win two regionals… apparently I was wrong.

We were wondering the same thing. We were actually surprised at Purdue, for this reason as well as the competition (your animation was great). Though from what I’ve read since, the cap’n looks correct. Your animation will go to the final round of judging.

Good luck!

Thanks 868. It was funny since you guys beat us last year, we were hoping we wouldn’t be up against you in the regionals but you were at both of ours! You guys definetly deserve the award, I just wondered if there was still some hope for my team getting runner-up at Nationals.

thanks… we’ve actually been thinking the same thing about your robot :slight_smile: