Wiping Down Alliance Station

Due to everything going on with the Coronavirus, I have been thinking what my team can do to keep ourselves and others safe at our competition (FLR) this weekend. Since the virus can spread by people touching things people carrying the virus have touched, one thing I am considering doing is, as Technician of our team, to use a Clorox wipe to quickly clean the alliance station panel. I don’t see anything in the rules against this, I would like to know other people’s opinions on this.

1 Like

you can certainly do this, but from what ive heard, its most infectious through the air. So you will probably limit some exposure but not even close to all of it
" There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

• Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
  • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs." from the cdcs website

I would say that this is absolutely legal, and not a bad idea. The real question is where you’re planning on finding chlorox wipes.

2 Likes

Thankfully, I happened to have some from before the virus got very big

Chlorine Bleach, 121 oz. Jug

3 Likes

On the other hand (not intentionally a pun, but let’s go with it), it still makes sense to practice contact hygiene, if nothing else to limit bacterial spread so that fewer people get the double whammy which seems to contribute to many of the COVID-19 deaths.

But seriously, people - if you are coughing or sneezing with any frequency, isolate yourself as much as you can! Flatten the curve!

FYI, many events have already been doing this on a pretty regular basis. Couldn’t hurt to do it more frequently, though.

If we all agree to do this, hopefully we can nip this in the bud and not get any more cancellations.

You may want to look at the new pinned thread…

4 Likes