Wireless Bridge Orientation

Is there any specific way FIRST wants the wireless bridge mounted on the robot?

Like, do they want it mounted horizontally, vertically, or does it not matter?

Its likely listed in the rules somewhere, but…

Just keep the lights easily visible and cords/switch accessible and likely easily removable (velcro). I just don’t recommend hanging it upside down…

Actually… it isn’t listed in the rules. Pick an orientation that works.

However, the lights do need to be visible (<R53>). If they are not visible for some reason, the field crew cannot diagnose what’s wrong when your robot decides it’s not going to work on the field.

Also, visible does not mean kinda sorta if you do a headstand inside the robot with your feet on the floor outside the robot. Ideally, you should be able to stand a few feet away and see the lights. Not quite practical, maybe, but if seeing the lights involves “unnatural” body positioning or being inside the robot, expect that you’ll need to reposition.

In addition to Eric’s statement about visibility (this is very important for your happiness) please do not bury the DAP-1522 down in the guts of your robot next to motors, metal (especially steel) or near the external frame where it can receive damage. There are two antennas mounted inside the case to allow maximum connectivity. These antennas can be detuned by surrounding objects and the electronics can pick up external electrical noise that will make communications difficult. Make sure it is secure on the robot and that the power input is protected so it doesn’t fall out. A simple wire tie holding it in place is usually sufficient.

In the 2011 FRC Inspection Checklist under Electrical it states “Robot Radio - the wireless adapter must be powered via the KOP +5 volt power convertor which must be powered by the dedicated +12 volt connector on the PD. Radio must be mounted so that it’s LEDs are visible<R38.B & R53>”

If you’re mounting it on one of it’s sides, there is only one side without something on it, LEDs, connectors, or lone button.

Other than that, mounting it flat is probably the best bet.

I haven’t opened one up but the bridge is designed to sit flat on a table. That would lead me to believe its antennas may have a better pattern that way than if you mounted it vertically. Pure speculation on my part, however.

Mount it however you want with three considerations.

Make sure LED’s are visible.

Keep it away from any metallic parts. Radio waves do not propagate through metals and get distorted by them.

The D-link is not rated for normal shocks that happen on an FRC robot. mount it to the chassis with some shock absorbing material.

Could you post the link for the check list? I’ve scoured the FIRST site and haven’t been able to find it. (Though I may just not know where to look.)

The checklist is actually in the manual section as a link right under the link to the Robot Section.

MANUAL PAGE: http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/content.aspx?id=452

INSPECTION CHECKLIST: http://usfirst.org/uploadedFiles/Robotics_Programs/FRC/Game_and_Season__Info/2011_Assets/2011FRCInspectionChecklistRevX.pdf