Wiring Plates!

Hello CD!

Team 3374 has a question for you!

What does your team use for wiring plates? Sheet metal? Box extrusion? How do you fit the wiring on your robot?

We use a Lexan panel, because it is non-conductive and lightweight.

+1. I don’t know about them, but we get ours with holes, so it makes zip ties really easy to string through and doesn’t require having a drill handy whenever you want to secure something to the board.

The team I worked with last year used Coroplast for the electronics panel. It was very light, non-conductive, very quick and easy to work with and very inexpensive. We cut it with a knife. It was easy to make complex cutouts for components like the gearboxes. We attached the components using zip ties. The zip ties went through holes made with a small screwdriver. The whole plate was attached to the kit chassis using about 4-6 zip ties on each side and a few at the front and back. It was removed before Bag & Tag and installed on the practice chassis. It saw extensive (rough) service in practice, one Regional and several off season events with no trouble.

Wood. 3/8" plywood is good though it is set up for 1/2". It provides an important structural portion of the robot as it forms one large triangulation gusset.

The last few years, we’ve used 3/16" ABS. It’s a good structural shield to protect the wiring and components. It cuts and drills easily, and you can tap holes for machine screws to anchor components. Wiring is attached with zip ties using zip tie “saddle” anchors screwed to the board.

Of course, we buy it in black, and last year stuck a large spider logo decal on the bottom to be visible during the endgame climb.

Plastic pegboard, for the same reasons given in post #3.

1293 is fond of non-perforated lexan. I’ve used wood in the past too. No strong preference, just whatever is working with the design that year.

We use aluminum perf stock and use wire ties to mount everything. In the event of a failure, a pair of wire cutters is the only tool needed to replace a defective component.