Withdrawing due to terror threat!?!

Very against the wishes of the team :mad: ,our school withdrew us from the Long Island regional that starts tommarrow. I was wondiering if anyother team has been subject to this same situation.

Terrorism is a way to make people affraid. That is what the school board is affraid, affraid of the possible terror attacks. In my opinion that means the terrorist won. If they suceed in making us live our lives any differently, they won.

Good luck Rage and Bad Boys from bayshore I know you can win it!!

Why do you just sit down and let them do that?

Don’t sit down and take that crap… fight the board. The parents have final say on this NOT THE SCHOOL BOARD.

losing your team is a big hit to the regional… we were looking forward to working with you guys and hopefully being allied with you once.

So, Smithtown isn’t the only team that has already lost the war, eh?

Yesterday, we were informed all field trips off the island were cancelled. That means we can’t go to San Jose. We were, well, livid.

Our main concern now is getting our money back. $4000 laid out by team, and tons more of personal money for airplane tickets and such. We want our school board to refund us, as they are the ones cancelling the trip. FIRST is holding the event, no reason for FIRST to pay up.

Anyone have any ideas on “convincing” our board to pay up? :slight_smile:

And to littlep, yes, the terrorists have already won. There’s no war. It’s just Bush trying to save some face now. But that’s another topic, so let’s not get into that.

Don’t go as a school function: do it privately, and take a few sick days.

That’s a good back-up plan.

*Originally posted by Ben Mitchell *
**Don’t go as a school function: do it privately, and take a few sick days.

That’s a good back-up plan. **

Yea you already paid… your robot is already there… all you need to do is show up… even if you can just get the drivers and a few others to show up it’ll be worth it… what are they gonna do? Kick you out of school? They can’t… have a parents note too :wink:

The Media, school boards hate negative media. Call a newspaper or local news channle. Call the board(at home if necessary).

Depending on how your team made reservations it may be possible to have a’coup’ and just go. All you really need is 3 students and a mentor. I could see a mini-van with 2 parents and a team of 5 students heading to a regional and doing quite well. If you need anything there are many supportive teams that would offer assitance.

Good for you Ian, I hope you guys get the school board to pay up. I swear, if something like that happens to us I will fight it. I will fight it even beyond the event, because it is wrong!

i’m sorry to hear that you guys aren’t coming. i was really looking forward to making the 271/716 alliance again. does this mean that you are not going to get to compete at all this year?

*Originally posted by sevisehda *
**The Media, school boards hate negative media. Call a newspaper or local news channle. Call the board(at home if necessary).

Depending on how your team made reservations it may be possible to have a’coup’ and just go. All you really need is 3 students and a mentor. I could see a mini-van with 2 parents and a team of 5 students heading to a regional and doing quite well. If you need anything there are many supportive teams that would offer assitance. **

Yeah, you would get a LOT of help from other teams, now that your situation is public.

Just go - have some fun in spite of some uninformed stiffs who happen to be in positions of power.

if you don’t go, the school board better pay up for the lost money…thats like insane…you just lost over $4000 and then the trip money and such…

but i agree with everyone else…take a few sick days…whats the school gonna do? suspend you? ya right…not if you have a note :slight_smile:

I agree with the sentiment of just going anyways. If our trip to Houston gets cancelled, I will be going anyways.

I’m not missing nationals my first and last high school year of FIRST.

Doing that would be flawed. If your school name is attached to the team and you go and work and be appart of it, then you are violating school rules. The teacher will be repremanded and you might get suspended.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19282