Woman engineers

Posted by Alan Partington at 1/16/2001 10:54 PM EST

Engineer from Crescent School.

I’ve heard rumors about them in far away places, but never actually met one…
Why are there so few women in engineering? Last year when I did Canada First, there were lots of women there, but all of them were in webpage, or video, or something else. If you look at the tech forum, there is only one post by a woman, and inside it, she admits that she is not an engineer. Why is that?

Maybee it’s like guys with nursing. Do you know any guys who say they are nurses? Didn’t think so.

Posted by Alan Partington at 1/16/2001 11:04 PM EST

In Reply to: Woman engineers
Posted by Alan Partington on 1/16/2001 10:54 PM EST:

I stand corrected… kind of.

After scouring all the forums on this site, I found two women who confessed to being engineers. Kate and Collen from the Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science. But still, 2 women vs. how many guys? That’s still not a very good ratio.

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/16/2001 11:29 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Re: Woman engineers
Posted by Alan Partington on 1/16/2001 11:04 PM EST:

: I stand corrected… kind of.

: After scouring all the forums on this site, I found two women who confessed to being engineers. Kate and Collen from the Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science. But still, 2 women vs. how many guys? That’s still not a very good ratio.

If you are to look for women vs. men ratio in the forum to get a sense of the same ratio in the whole competition, then you are looking in the wrong place. In here, the ratio probably only show how many women use the internet vs. men. And also, most of the people posting in here are the more dedicated people in FIRST and engineers who take time writing messages instead of spending all of them on the robot, and help other teams out. So, if you are looking for a general ratio representing FIRST’s women vs. men ratio, then this isn’t really a good place for it.

One thing off of this topic. I was one of the member of the only US team that attended Canada FIRST last year. I was helping out that team a little bit, but I never had time because I was mainly working on US FIRST with GRT… I really hope you and your team have lots of fun doing US FIRST.

Posted by Alan Partington at 1/17/2001 6:53 PM EST

Posted by Ken Leung on 1/16/2001 11:29 PM EST:

: One thing off of this topic. I was one of the member of the only US team that attended Canada FIRST last year. I was helping out that team a little bit, but I never had time because I was mainly working on US FIRST with GRT… I really hope you and your team have lots of fun doing US FIRST.

Thank you. US First still amazes me. Our robot last year was held togeather partially with duct tape and built of wood. These robots are so much more advanced than those at Canada First. The competition is also much better organized. Also the robot control amazes me.

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/17/2001 10:55 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Canada vs. US First
Posted by Alan Partington on 1/17/2001 6:53 PM EST:

: Thank you. US First still amazes me. Our robot last year was held togeather partially with duct tape and built of wood.

All I can remember about your robot is that when ever it start spinning, a puck will go in the goal… and it was really fast, too. Always rush to the Canada FIRST puck and grabed it away.

Posted by colleen - T190 at 1/17/2001 12:00 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

Go chicks!! Haha… just kidding…

Actually-- I’m a college student @ WPI and we serve as the engineers on our team… I got to a techie school and am proud of it :wink:

And the ratio’s no better here than it is on the forum or real life…

I found the same… in high school… I was somewhat a rarity working on electronics and mechanical and strategy stuff as opposed to Chairman’s and PR which most of the girls were drawn towards…

It’s fun though-- :slight_smile:

–colleen

Posted by Brett at 1/18/2001 9:14 PM EST

Student on team #201 from Rochester High School.

If SME ever puts up the general stats of the card registrations that would probably be the most accurate of all.

Posted by uyen at 1/17/2001 5:43 PM EST

Student on team #191, X-Cats, from Wilson Magnet High and Xerox.

I think that there are women engineers. My team is filled with them. Team 191 is almost half female, half males and not all the girls are doing promotion or chairmen’s award. Our women engineers contribute a lot, as do our men.

: I’ve heard rumors about them in far away places, but never actually met one…
: Why are there so few women in engineering? Last year when I did Canada First, there were lots of women there, but all of them were in webpage, or video, or something else. If you look at the tech forum, there is only one post by a woman, and inside it, she admits that she is not an engineer. Why is that?

: Maybee it’s like guys with nursing. Do you know any guys who say they are nurses? Didn’t think so.

Posted by Anton Abaya at 1/18/2001 2:08 AM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and NASA, Mathsoft, Solidworks.

they’re just as smart…

they’re just as creative and imaginative…

they’re just as ingenious…

and they’re awesome to work with when they are not moody. hehe…am i right?

i actually tried to join the robotics chicks union and sent in an application form. i was denied because i was male. that’s a first. :slight_smile: in any case, women make great engineers. heck, they engineer all of us into existence for 9 months!

-anton