Work I want someone else to do...

We have a lot of data about the teams in the various divisions but I think that there is some more information that would be useful for scouting teams at the Championships.

Specifically, I think there is a lot of information contained in the drafting choices of the teams that went to regionals. I am not saying that teams are perfect in their picks (Lord knows that our team is pretty much in a state of chaos every time we get the opportunity to be a drafting team – in fact most times we are not sure we will even BE a drafting team until the last one or two matches). Be that as it may, I think the drafting teams have put some serious thought into ranking teams. I would like to have easy access to that collective wisdom (flawed as it is).

To this point, we have really only where teams seeded and whether or not they were on the winning alliance or whether they were on the runner up alliance. I think that in addition to the drafting information, there is other data from the regionals that I think would be useful to have access to in a concise format.

What I would really like is for someone to add the following columns to Ed Spark’s AWESOME spreadsheet:
[ol]
[li]1st regional attended (FL,VA,OH,TX,NY-LI,MI-YP,NJ,NY-NY,PA,WA,CA-SJ,IL,MO,CT,CA-LA,MI-GR,ONT)
[/li][li]Seed at 1st regional (1,2,…)
[/li][li]Draft Number at 1st regional (1,2,…,16, ND, AC)
[/li]
ND=NotDrafted
AC=AllianceCaptain
[li]Alliance Number at 1st regional (1,2,…,8, ND)
[/li]
ND=NotDrafted
[li]Elimination Finish At 1st regional (QF,SF,F,C,ND)
[/li]
QF=Eliminated in Quarter-Finals
SF=Eliminated in Semi-Finals
F=Eliminated in Finals (i.e. Runner Up)
C=Champions
ND=Not Drafted

[li]2nd regional attended (FL,VA,OH,TX,NY-LI,MI-YP,NJ,NY-NY,PA,WA,CA-SJ,IL,MO,CT,CA-LA,MI-GR,ONT)
[/li][li]Seed at 2nd regional (1,2,…)
[/li][li]Draft Number at 2nd regional (1,2,…,16, ND, AC)
[/li][li]Alliance Number at 2nd regional (1,2,…,8, ND)
[/li][li]Elimination Finish At 2nd regional (QF,SF,F,C,ND)
[/li]
[li]3rd regional attended (FL,VA,OH,TX,NY-LI,MI-YP,NJ,NY-NY,PA,WA,CA-SJ,IL,MO,CT,CA-LA,MI-GR,ONT)
[/li][li]Seed at 3rd regional (1,2,…)
[/li][li]Draft Number at 3rd regional (1,2,…,16, ND, AC)
[/li][li]Alliance Number at 3rd regional (1,2,…,8, ND)
[/li][li]Elimination Finish At 3rd regional (QF,SF,F,C,ND)
[/li]

[/ol]
Anybody have more time on their hands than I do?

Joe J.

Thats alot of work, but a good idea…I’m attempting to do that for you and whoever else wants it, but it may take some time…We shall see

Does anyone have information on which teams from each alliance actually played which rounds during the elimination matches at the regionals?

If so, this info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Good stuff Joe,

I’ll also try to squeeze this in before I pack it up and head south.

New version from Ed is in the White Papers section…

White Papers

Nice work Ed! Thanks a bunch!

This version just cleans up some formatting errors and the missing team. I also included a rating system that attemps to give value to teams that have experience/performance. As it stands, I give each team 1 pt for each match played, 20 pts for each win, 10 pts for finalist, and 20 pts for #1 seed. If you don’t like this, just adjust the values in the green boxes on line 293 of the “National Championship” worksheet.

I’m working on a version that has the DR. Joe requests - should be out sometime Saturday.

:slight_smile:

Ed,

This would be GREAT!

Be careful about the UTC data by the way. For reasons that are not clear to me, FIRST started posting alliances in numerical order rather than Alliance Captain, 1st Draft, 2nd Draft.

They may have done the same on other regionals as well, UTC is the only one I have certain knowledge of.

By the way, can anybody explain the switch? Other regionals on the same weekend did not have this sorted order reporting (at least I can say for sure the Western MI did not). Very curious.

Anyway, I anxiously await the new updated spreadsheet. Very useful data for determine picks should anyone want to enter a pool on the Championships :wink:

Joe J.

Here’s a nice spreadsheet put together by Joel J.
It may be helpful for when you’re looking at who competed where, showing how each regional played out.

He also has a tab that organizes Ed’s ratings from highest to lowest.

Nice suppliment Joel!

regionalglance2k2.xls (132 KB)

regionalglance2k2.xls (132 KB)

It’s done … My brain hurts … I’ll need an ice cold dew from Joe’s stash at the Championship to get over it …

Watch for (v3) in the white papers (it’s pending approval).

Also, The file is big (6+Meg) due to all of the table lookups so break out your Crays.

Note: The data for the elimination rounds from the NASA Langley regional is missing on the FIRST site so I was not able to include all of that regional’s data in the spreadsheet. If anyone has the play-by-play data of the finals, I’ll create (v4).

Is it time to go yet? :smiley:

Wow! I wanna say a BIG thank you. This is great. As for the VCU data, I can only give you partial data. I can give you the winners and the runners up, and I can tell you how we did :slight_smile:

Regional Winner Teams: #422, 643, 316
Regional Finalist Teams: #448, 87, 510
And we lost in the quarter finals: #122,365,384

Stephen

p.s. sorry for the incomplete data, maybe someone else can fill in the blanks?

OK,

I know this is getting a little old by now…

-but-

(v4) has now been posted in the white papers.

Thanks to Stephen Rawls and Steve Shade for the VCU Data. Everything should be complete and right in the world now…

Happy sorting and if you happen to be by pit 34 (Archimedes) during the Championship stop in and say HI !

:smiley:

Wow, now I can fill out my Zone Zeal Pool entry sheet!

Thanks Ed. You have out done yourself.

Joe J.

*Originally posted by Ed Sparks *
**OK,

I know this is getting a little old by now…

-but-

(v4) has now been posted in the white papers.

Thanks to Stephen Rawls and Steve Shade for the VCU Data. Everything should be complete and right in the world now…

Happy sorting and if you happen to be by pit 34 (Archimedes) during the Championship stop in and say HI !

:smiley: **

ed, i don’t totally understand the overall rating on your spread sheet. how did you rate it and what does it consist of? the way it looks is that a higher number is better. i’m wondering why our ranking was a 7. :confused:

I also included a rating system that attemps to give value to teams that have experience/performance. As it stands, I give each team 1 pt for each match played, 20 pts for each win, 10 pts for finalist, and 20 pts for #1 seed. If you don’t like this, just adjust the values in the green boxes on line 293 of the “National Championship” worksheet.

David,

This was something I added just to give me something to fiddle with. I use it as more of an “experience rating” than anything. It gives me a general idea of who has the most experience playing the game. Teams that have attended more than one regional and won an award will place higher than teams that only attended one.

This rating is in no way the only tool a team should use to evaluate other teams and in no way am I saying that you are not on a good team (you most definately are).

Keep in mind that I did this before I added the data that Joe asked for which, in my opinion, paints a better picture of each finalists performance. For example, the rating does not show us that your team was a QF but v4 gives us that data.

It very well could be that the rating isn’t worth a thing, that’s for each of us to decide. You can adjust the weighting if you like or hide the column completely if you like. I just tried to provide a tool that each of us could use to get some quick background info. Performance at the championship is always the big factor.

See 'ya soon

:slight_smile: