Would anyone like to send me photos of their dedicated workspaces and/or STEMcenters?

Howdy everybody,
I’m from team 3950, and my team is currently in the process of convincing our school to shift towards creating better facilities for STEM-related classes and activities, with the end goal being either a dedicated section of our school to STEM of a higher quality than currently exists, or a separate building or STEM center for this purpose.

One way in which we hope to demonstrate why this could be a good decision, as well as to provide a better visualization of the concept, is to show images of these sorts of buildings in use at other schools with FRC teams.

If you’re from a school with either a dedicated work space for your team, or a school with a STEM center, and it isn’t too much trouble for you, could you please send me photos of your school’s facilities, or at least point me in the direction of some good photographs?

Thank you!

Some background.

It is obvious that in sports it is useful to have a gym or athletic field in order to build an effective sports team. This is a well understood concept.

This past week, Georgia fielded 4 teams on the Einstein court, the first time this has happened since 2006. This is a significant accomplishment.

The teams that went to Einstein, and a few more that nearly went to Einstein, had access to quality STEM GYMS.

You need athletic facilities, GYMS to support high-quality athletes.

You need STEM GYMS to support high-quality STEM experiences.

In Georgia, the sub-set of the STEM GYM that has the full FIRST FRC practice fields, with all the elements, is called “Destination Einstein”.

The message is simple. Just like in athletics, if you want STEM performance, you have to have STEM Infrastructure, aka STEM GYMS, and for FRC Destination Einstein.

Here are some unbuilt concepts here in Georgia: http://kellrobotics.org/files/model/STEM_GYM_for_web.pdf

Currently, the Georgia fields are located in a variety of existing locations, existing warehouses, schools, etc.

There are other examples around the country such as the Katy ISD Robert Shaw STEM facility.
http://www.katyisd.org/dept/rsc/Pages/default.aspx

Here is a gallery of pictures of the construction, and at the end of the gallery there are a couple pictures of the inside completed.

This is how the RSC looks like during build season.

I cannot say enough of how much of a big effort it was to get this center, and how much it has benefited the teams that now live inside of it. We are very fortunate to have the center and we try to use it as much as we can to spread our love of STEM. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

We are very grateful for the efforts that 624 have put in over many years to make this happen. Having worked with a number of other teams in different parts of Houston, I can say this is the best work space I have been in. The more established teams are always willing to help our “low resource” team with advice in software (thanks 5427), materials, parts and tools. Having a full sized field available every day allowed us to iterate our design much more effectively and make our robot much more consistent. Getting to practice with other teams helped our drivers and human players sharpen their skills (thanks to 6488’s pilot for the great tip on how to salvage gears about to fall off the peg).