X-SHARC #6838 | Build Blog 2023

Progress Update

Hello everyone! It’s been a while since we didn’t post things here. Due to the problems in Turkey, you can follow from this tread. I again want to mentioned that it is very important to make donations to help people there.

We were not able to go to school to do some work. Since that time we mostly focused on CAD and some electrical parts started on Monday.

CAD Updates

Since 2 weeks there are big changes in the robot. These are mostly in the intake and carriage parts. Here are some photos for the final assembly.






Slider Go Brrrr

Here is the past version of it.

After making some CAD reviews we decided to remove our slider and put in a carriage instead of it. The reason for this is that we can still score without the slider.

Actually, the slider gave us around 25 cm more. However everybot style pivoted intake helps us to still score. Add to that, the robot gets 6cm extra from the maximum extension limit that allows us to have.

Carriage

The carriage is actually a combination of carriage v2 and slider. It has a ratio of 1:192 and runs with a Falcon 500. Also, the plates are made of 6mm aluminum and with fewer rods.

Another thing is that the shape of the carriage allows us to get to a higher point.





Intake

Due to our problem with the Falcon in the elevator, we changed our intake design. We are now using a 775 for it. Actually, we have one more Falcon but want to keep that as a spare, so in case of any problems again we can solve them.

You can see the new design and the 5mm polycarbonate plates that manufacture here.




The other thing is that we made custom pulleys for intake. In our latest intake, we run it with 24T pulleys and stretch it with bearings. The thing is that because we are using a double-sided belt I am not sure that it is correct to use bearings as stretching with a double-sided belt. I would love to hear whether it is true or not. In case of any problems with intake, we can solve them like this.

We tried to solve this problem with a custom pulley that we made. In the design, we used 3 21T pulleys and 18T pulleys as stretchers. In this design, we used some bearings from our spares which will be inserted into the pulley. For now, I can only share the design. Hopefully, if I can make the printer work again I will share the result.

For the intake, the last thing is that after we remove the slider the intake is not going to be directly on top of the grid. That’s why it will throw the cone in some way.

Elevator

The last time we came to school, around 1.5 weeks ago, we had some problems with the pulley of the elevators. They are bending in some way due to the amount of weight it holds. We made custom pulley mounts and assemble them with the pulleys which came from First Choice. The mount is 2mm steel. For now, they are going great.

Lastly, we changed the base stage mount for the elevator with 6mm steel after it bend. Now it going great and without problems.

Elevator Base Mount

Electronic Update

As I mentioned before we started on electronics. Since that time we wire up the chassis. We made an electronic plate to assembly it to the side of the elevator. We do our best to keep the space clear with the cables.

Another thing that helps us is the Canivore we will wire the CAN’s of the swerves to carnivore and rest to roborio.

This year, first time we use REV’s electronic components which are Radio Power Module and Mini Power Module. We will see the results when the programming starts.

Also check our radio case that we printed out.

Finally, we changed our encoders in the swerves with Cancoder.

In the electronics not using pneumatics helped us to save more space in the robot, less weight and we don’t have to face with the wiring that.

Here are some additional videos for after the assembly.

This 2 days we will focus on electronics and mechanics done, so we will be able to start programming quickly.

10 Likes