Yellow / Red Cards Assigned in 2019

rules

If they’re associated with a team, their team should get a red card.

This is totally a personal take but doing field reset all weekend and having to wrangle the sand storm curtains despite the bad weather conditions at Del Mar, I don’t see beyond safety concerns, how an extension of a mechanism a couple inches above the wall when setting up a climb would interact with the alliance wall and/or sandstorm curtain, presuming to accomplish a team’s climb, they would thus quickly lower whatever portion of their robot is extending above the alliance wall. I’m not against the rule as much as the judgement call made behind immediately escalating to a yellow card vs. giving a foul that gives the team the heads up that they need to correct a design oversight.
Call me naive but the banging of the alliance wall would’ve been the only way the 3 velcro strips holding each Sandstorm curtain up would’ve gived and then subsequently fallen. Even then, our reset crew had the curtain up when doing alliance introductions and only rolled them down afterwards due to the delicacy of this part of the field as well as the different elements battering our field all weekend.

Is that a rule, or are you expressing your wish? I was not at the event and don’t know the Ref, so can not comment beyond what I saw on Twitch.

This is also the first year that it is a red card. Normally a yellow card.

It’s not a rule, @notmattlythgoe is just being delightfully snarky as usual.

No, it’s the second or third year that it’s been a red card option. Maybe more. But it generally goes through yellow first.

I removed most of your post to focus on this point. I think this is what you’re missing from my guess as to the reason for the rule. You’re fully aware the mechanism is delicate. If there wasn’t a height restriction, do you really not see a way that robots could run into this part of the field? When you’re talking about safety, you’re focusing solely on human safety. There’s also field safety to consider.

This is the second year that it’s a warning followed by a yellow card for the second infraction. You’re reading half the rule here. The blue box defines jumping over the wall (as opposed to stepping over it) as an egregious violation that escalates to the red card.

Reading this thread, I’m surprised many of you don’t strap on full body armor anytime you walk up a flight of stairs.

This isn’t Apex Legends y’all, you don’t need a Purple Body Suit to win the game!

If you need more evidence of how fragile FRC folks are, take a gander at one of the student/mentor built threads.

It’s only safe if you drop kick the gate.

OOOOOOOO! My favorite hobby!

Respectfully disagree…

The point to be made as nothing to do with low risk but rather the fact that there are some safety rules in place for a reason. PERIOD

Once in the workplace, crossing a barrier could be the difference between life and death. At the end of the day, dont walk over it and everything will be just fine, choose to jump over and live with the consequence, it this case a red card.

Screw White Gloves! 2019 is the year of the Michelin Man!

I mean in all fairness, by the time teams are climbing, the curtain is all the way up? Obviously my scope of events is limited with volunteering all weekend but I don’t forsee the sandstorm curtain becoming the new low bar curtain \o/

Never thought Karthik would derail a thread gg

Once in the workplace, crossing a barrier could be the difference between life and death. At the end of the day, dont walk over it and everything will be just fine, choose to jump over and live with the consequence, it this case a red card.

What better way to teach a student about workplace safety than to disqualify their entire alliance and send them home. Great idea!!!

Respectfully disagree.

Maybe it’s because I’m just an angsty teen, but I couldn’t care less about what happens in the work place. Eventually it’ll matter, but I’ve said it recently on some thread: FIRST is about inspiration and any correspondence to a future career and/or the real world should come second to that. There are some rules that are there for good reason (robot rules leading to cards)… but is it really necessary to take an alliance out of the playoffs because one student jumped a wall? Or jumped out of an airship (I remember there being a similar conversation after an incident in 2017)? That’s hardly inspirational, in fact if it happened to me a few years ago I don’t think I’d be too likely to come back to FRC :confused:

I dont agree with the entire alliance rule either.

My point is that there is a rule for a reason and it should be follow.