Yellow / Red Cards Assigned in 2019

rules

Baby Shark.

There were two yellow cards I believe in the playoffs at Indiana St. Joe (INMIS). One in Quarterfinal 3 Match 2 for contact inside frame perimeter by 7198. https://youtu.be/yGQeZC3tEho
Another yellow card was given in the quarterfinals for more contact inside frame perimeter but I can’t find the video right now.
As far as I know these were the only two cards during the event.

In Qualification Match 21 at FiM St. Joe, team 5056 received a yellow card for damaging contact inside team 5980’s Frame-Perimeter. This occurred while team 5980 was playing defense on team 5056 on their side of the field.

Here’s that match video:

That would be Stryke Force 2767

I know what team it is, I just did not say because it said at the start of this tread it said not to name to teams involved. If anyone is interested that was match 71

I looked over that. Oops. Hopefully no one is offended by my naming of facts. But in serious talk, I understand the thought behind it.

No offense taken whatsoever. We (2767) made a mistake (thought our pre-climb stow location was lower than it actually was), and got called on it by attentive refs. The system worked as it’s supposed to. On a side note, this was a great “teachable moment” for our team–and we’re happy this got sorted out at this point in the season rather than later.

Here is one from the Oklahoma regional semi finals. Red gets a red card after a defense bot hits a blue bot and the blue bots battery comes out. The whole situation was kinda odd, though the defense may have been a little rough, the weirdest part was the loss of blues battery. From the video it appears that the battery falls off from directly under the robot. It may have been strapped/mounted bellow the robot and the mount may have broken (by defense or just wear and tear). It also appears as if cargo has a play into causing the robot to lift off the ground. The referee stated it was a violation of rule G19.

“G19. Don’t tear others down to lift yourself up. Strategies aimed at the destruction or inhibition of
ROBOTS via attachment, damage, tipping, or entanglements are not allowed.
Violation: TECH FOUL and YELLOW CARD. If harm or incapacitation occurs as a result of the
strategy, RED CARD”

I do not believe this was a result of an intentional strategy so I am do not think a red card over a yellow card was necessary. Nevertheless the ref determined G19 was broken and it is up to his/her discretion.

Here is the match video (happens around 1:11- 1:20):

That seemed unnecessarily harsh, especially seeing that it seemed to be the blue bot which ran into the red one to defend rather than vice-versa.

The bungee for the battery came off earlier. You can see it on the ground at 1:09.

As a quick re-read of that rule, we should point out the “intentional strategy” is the determination between no foul and tech/yellow. If it’s deemed to not be an intentional strategy, it’s not a violation of G19. The card escalates from yellow to red if the robot is incapacitated. “Result of the strategy” refers to the strategy used to call G19 in the first place. In this instance, I’m sure we all agree the robot was incapacitated. As a result, it’s either a no call (the strategy wasn’t to destruct/inhibit) or it’s a tech foul and a red card (strategy was deemed to destroy/inhibit and the action left a robot incapacitated).

What would blue bot be defending? Red was in blue’s zone. They couldn’t score. They could only defend. The other two bots weren’t in a place where blue would be running interference with red’s defense.

Sorry, I misread the original post.

No need to apologize! It was an actual question. When it comes to these odd cases, I’m always trying to understand every possible angle.

Hello Chief Delphi! I signed up just to reply in this thread as I am the drive coach for 6026. That red card caught everyone by surprise, the teams, spectators, and even some nearby volunteers. As Zguptill surmised our strategy did not involve intentionally damaging any other robots.

Our alliance captain questioned the call and the head ref’s explanation was that the initial contact was not the problem. They assigned the card because we did not back away fast enough when they popped up. Bear in mind this is the least visible location on the field from our spot in station 3 and as soon as the announcer said their battery came out we steered clear.

For any other defensive drivers reading, be extra mindful when moving in areas without a clear line of sight.

Also, good eyes chrisw957. I’ve watched this video several times and did not catch that detail.

So, my team 2544, besides having camera issues, has had a decent practice round yesterday including tieing ourselves in our first match since we were the only team on the 2 sides playing. (10-10). But, this is not the problem. The problem was during our second practice match. Since there is no footage, I will describe it as it happened since I am the drive coach. It was about T40 when our only partner and us were by our cargo ship. We were the red alliance and was behind by about 15 points. Then comes along 6490 from the blue alliance which was wearing red bumpers. They proceeded to supposedly play “defense”. We start to back away from them when they drive full speed into us, causing our bumpers to go on top of theirs. So then we we’re on the back of their robot which has an angled plate for their control system. They then stop for about 3 seconds, Then they PROCEEDED TO DRIVE BACKWARDS INTO OUR ROBOT CAUSING THE ROBOT TO FLIP/FALL OVER SLOWLY, THEN QUICKLY after our center of mass was past the tipping point. They then just leave to go back to their side of the field. It was an instant red card for them IN A PRACTICE MATCH. And to make matters worse, we had some minor damage and wiring issues that were almost close to permanent. We mostly fixed it. When we talked about this to our alliance parter, they said that they are known to do this all the time each year. And, no one from that team has come forward to appoligise or to even check up with us. Disrespectful. Truely disrespectful. The event we are playing at is Finger Lakes Regional.

I would suggest that if they didn’t come talk to you, you should go talk to them and tell them what the result of their actions were (very very politely). Suggest that practice matches aren’t usually a good time to play defense because there are no points on the line and you risk damaging people’s robots that aren’t even fully functional yet. I’d wager that you get an apology almost immediately.

Naming other teams really isn’t cool though. I’m sure next time you guys make a mistake in the heat of the moment, you won’t want to be “named and shamed”.

I think you’re doing it wrong.

And to add on to this, @rocketgamer102, if they don’t give an apology or an “I’m sorry” or anything like that, there’s always the “selection blacklist”. Basically you guys, as a team, refuse to pick them no matter how well they do.

Don’t try to block them out of playoffs by telling everybody, but if your team doesn’t want anything to do with them in alliance selection then that’ll be sufficient. (And it takes a LOT to draw a red card in PRACTICE. Anybody scouting practice matches will know not to pick them–cards are usually a big no-no for teams doing picking.) I do know of some teams that are on some other teams’ “blacklists” for various reasons, but decline to state who and why.