YMTC: The Twelve Batteries of Christmas

Thank you GDC! If you would like to see future YMTCs on the Recent Activity List, you will have to configure your list to view the *YMTC Forum *under the Rules/Strategy Forum; you can configure your [b]*Recent Activity List *here.

You Make The Call (YMTC) is a series of situations where you are the official and make the call. Please reference specific rules when applicable. The results of YMTC are not official and are for educational purposes only.

Redateam made it! Redateam finally achieved its goal of competing in the elimination rounds of the Championships. Better yet, Redateam made it to the Archimedes semifinals by squeaking out a 3 match win over a formidable Blualliance. While Redateam was preparing for the Archimedes semifinals, Mary-Catherine, the assistant head ref of the Archimedes Division and the sister of Bobby-Jo from the Magnolia Regional, strolled by Redateam’s makeshift pit on the Georgia Dome floor. She instantly noticed a Christmas tree, soon to realize that it was a stack of batteries and chargers, one battery for each day of Christmas, twelve in all. Mary-Catherine inquired, “That’s a lot of batteries, do you need that many?” A Redateam member proudly replied, “Yes 'mam, we’ve already used three of them!” Mary-Catherine then walked to the Archimedes head ref and had a lengthy discussion.

Based on the 2007 Rules, YOU MAKE THE CALL!

There’s one important detail left out of the story. Are the 12 batteries of christmas PN ES17-12 or are they different?

If they are ES17-12, then per this Q/A, they are legal: http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?t=1682

I’m curious as to what the penalty is for breaking a Robot rule after the robot has passed inspection. I would think that a DQ would be the correct call if found immediately after the match, but they may have already advanced several rounds into the playoffs by the time it is discovered.

I agree with Joe – if all the batteries are identical to the two ES17-12 KoP batteries (and only one goes in the robot) then there is no rules violation.

To Joe’s second question, suspected non-compliance with a robot rule should result in reinspection under <R113> or <R116>, and the non-compliance identified during reinspection would have to be corrected, otherwise that robot is no longer a ROBOT (per 7.2.1 “anything that has passed ROBOT inspection that a TEAM places on the field prior to the start of a match”) and is subject to disqualification from the event under <R112>. When the non-compliance has been corrected the robot is a ROBOT again and can compete.

Unless we are missing something like Joe and Richard have pointed out - there is no penalty involved.
A team can have as many “legal” batteries as they want to (or can afford).
Illegal batteries are not allowed in regulation matches.
I assume last years batteries are legal for practice - but come Friday - you better be sure to not get last years mixed up with this years.

Are the batteries that were shaped into a tree formation are previous years batteries? I think a new situation should be made up with more information in order to get a better call. Too much information is missing. :wink:

Specify the type: Exide or the new ones? If they’re Exide ES-whatever, reinspect. If, however, they are identical to the ones in the kit, they’re perfectly legal. Note: if the tree is mixed, only the current batteries are legal. All others are not.

By the way, at this point, this is practically a “why is this a question at all” YMTC. It’s been answered, I believe. You tell us which batteries and we’ll call it.