You can't see through an untouched starting wall of boxes

-> Tell me if this was already discussed, cause I SEARCHED and didn’t find it. <-

Your robot starts the game on the “enemy” field, and your driver is located in the opposite side (“your” side). Between them there is a big wall of boxes.

If none of the 4 robots manage to crash the wall in the 15 seconds, there will be some time of blind driving, because the drivers won’t be able to see their robots.
I think that may happen sometimes, but it probably won’t be a usual thing.

If that happens, the robots may crash with their partners, and they may loose a lot of precious time too. Maybe putting the wall down isn’t good only to score points…

Another thing: the ramp is really big this year, isn’t it? Is it allowed for a short driver to take something to stay on top of to the station? <edit> Already answered by Pengiun Joe (thanks!)</edit>

Digo

That’s an interesting problem, with the containers. While I think you’re right, they probably will be knocked down, the ramp will prove to be a sight obstacle for everyone. If not being able to see your own robot wasn’t enough, keeping an eye on the other guy will be even harder. As to your question: rule GM13 states that: “During a match, students and mentors must stand on the carpet, i.e., they may not stand on containers, the driver station shelf or any part of the field structure or on each other.” So no, you’ve got to stay on the carpet. No height advantage.

I love this game!

Woodie and Dean did not disappoint me this year.

They promise something for everyone and they delivered.
The scoring is simple but the game is complex.

You can build a gocart robot in 6 hours and be competitive.
This is great for rookie teams. The programmers now
have a major role to play too.
The score keepers will be pulling their hair out because
of the crazy combinations of prossible scores.
Can you imagine, the score keeper screams at the
driver to knock down the stacks.

And my favorite part of the game…

the crashing sound of plastic container!
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Since you can’t see over the wall of containers no matter how tall you are at the start of the match, won’t this pose a major problem? Lets say your robot ends up at a odd angle ( gets knocked into during the 15 seconds ) and you go to drive it when the humans get controll, only to have your robot smash into something and get stuck?

Well, then it looks like you better not let this happen.

Do you think that maybe that’s why the ramps are wire MESH. You can see through it.

if your robot was about to commit autonomous suicide there is always the disable button or you could have a self righter like ,dare i say, in battle bots gasp!

Well, maybe you were joking abotu the self-righting, but I don’t think very many robots will flip in the first place… (speed and catch air on the ramp! w00t!)

And is the ramp tall enough to be able to see though under it? Either way, there’s viewing obstacles. But at least there’s the 15 seconds autonomous where you can be somewhat sure that it’ll do what you want, instead of randomly driving without vision. :smiley:

the first thing out robot will do in the auto mode is head straight for the boxes. CRASH!!!

*Originally posted by vicepro *
**Do you think that maybe that’s why the ramps are wire MESH. You can see through it. **

That’s not why the ramp is mesh. The mesh creates a very interesting obstacle. However, you cannot see your bot through the mesh. Keep not at the different heights.

The driver’s table is rougly 3’ - 3’6" high. Most driver’s eyes are at about 5’ - 6’ high. The ramp’s center platform is 2’ high. Even if they crouch down, they are not going to be able to see through and to the otherside without a mirror being on the floor (which there won’t be)

Put tall flags on your robot.

FIRST says we can put video cameras on our robot why not that?

Rule M9

*Originally posted by The wheelman *
**FIRST says we can put video cameras on our robot why not that?

Rule M9 **

It wouldn’t help the drivers any because their controls must run off of the power supplied through the competition port. That’s not enough to power a TV or a reciever. The team members off of the field would have a good view though.

*Originally posted by Bduggan04 *
**It wouldn’t help the drivers any because their controls must run off of the power supplied through the competition port. That’s not enough to power a TV or a reciever. The team members off of the field would have a good view though. **

Then why not have someone in the crowd with big signs that said: LEFT, RIGHT, FORWARD, BACK, RAMMING SPEED, GRAB

*Originally posted by tatsak42 *
**Well, maybe you were joking abotu the self-righting, but I don’t think very many robots will flip in the first place… (speed and catch air on the ramp! w00t!) **

I’m not so sure about that… the ramp requires speed, and lots of teams will definately make tall ‘stacker’ bots… I think there’s a good chance for falling over.

teams will tip. that’s almost fact. hopefully, after the first match or two, they won’t tip anymore. you can’t promise anything though. one idea to see your robot is some tall flags. that would involve, GASP, a tape measure device, or something similar to run straight up with a stiff flag to tell direction. it’s doable, and very possible. hopefully, at least one team will take out the bins though.

About the video cameras on our robots, I think I read somewhere that you can have laptops in the driver’s area (though I highly doubt its authenticity). Can anyone confirm or disprove this? So if this is the case, you can see even with a wall of tubs blocking the middle. Plus you can always see through the sides where there isn’t a ramp.

A tip for building a tall stack bot: If u dont want to get tipped over, build the bot with a very low center of gravity, this way when u go up the ramp u wont tip, even if u get bumped by another bot. Yeah, the stacks are a problem if no one knocks them down in autonomous mode. A recommendation I would make is to have your team’s programmers program at least 3 autonomous prgms so that u can do what your alliance parnter cant. THis way there is no possibility of not knocking down the stacks.

*Originally posted by HolyMasamune *
**About the video cameras on our robots, I think I read somewhere that you can have laptops in the driver’s area (though I highly doubt its authenticity). Can anyone confirm or disprove this? So if this is the case, you can see even with a wall of tubs blocking the middle. Plus you can always see through the sides where there isn’t a ramp. **

Per the rules:

YES, you can have a laptop at the driver station for a dashboard application…

However…

FIRST’s ruling every year re. cameras is that the reciever is NOT allowed to be in the driver station…

I think FIRST intentionally made it so you couldn’t see your robot at the begining of the game to make it more interesting and more of a challenge. using a camera would still be a bit of a challenge to the driver but kinda defeats the purpose.